Dear Friends and Family:
We are happy to announce that the sequel to 7 Card Stud with 7 Manangs Wild is in progress. While we already have a few submissions, we would like to solicit your help with broadening the range of stories for this project. We would appreciate encouraging your students to submit their stories for consideration.
We recognize that Filipinos living in the United States have a vast array of experiences. Our families are comprised of single parents, gay/lesbian or bisexual and transgender; blended families with partners who are not of Filipino heritage; divorced or never married with no children, family members who are T nT (tago ng tago) – undocumented, and families caring for elder parents and/or children with physical or mental challenges. Our experiences encompass all of life’s rewards and challenges, good fortune and bad luck, happiness, sorrow, pain and suffering. With your help soliciting stories, the sequel can reflect a broad spectrum of life.
* Short stories must reflect aspect of your life experience in the United States
* Short stories should be between 1,000-1,500 word count
* Short stories have to be writer’s own personal experience
* Writers must have Filipino ancestry, including blended backgrounds, 2nd-5th generation Filipino American, as well as Philippine-born and with the majority of your life in the United States
* No plagiarism
* No profanity
* No horror or graphic or gratuitous violence
* No disrespect towards any race, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation
Deadline: 12midnight, February 15, 2013. Stories must be received by the deadline.
How to Submit Your Short Story:
Email stories as a PDF attachment to “firstname.lastname@example.org”
Subject line “7 Card Stud with 7 Manangs Wild”
Review and Selection Process
All stories will be reviewed by the editorial board. Writers will be notified via email about the status of their stories.
Final selection for the sequel will be based on the overall submissions, as well as each story’s content, resounding theme, uniqueness.
If you have any questions, feel free to send an email to Vangie Canonizado Buell, email@example.com, or Jeanette Gandionco Lazam, firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions and Editorial Board
Evangeline Canonizado Buell
Jeanette Gandionco Lazam
Eleanor Hipol Luis