From the Backbone Press website:
back•bone [bak-bohn] noun
1. Anatomy. the spinal column; spine.
2. strength of character; resolution.
3. something resembling a backbone in appearance, position, or function.
4. Bookbinding. a back or bound edge of a book; spine.
back•bone press [bak-bohn pres] noun
1. A small press with a big vision.
2. A venue for ethnic poets; African-American.
3. An interest too, in poetry by Latino/a, Asian, and other Ethnicities.
4. Seeker of poetry. political, invocative, social, gritty, also the personal and poignant.
We welcome submissions from emerging and established writers.
Online Submission Deadline: November 30, 2012
Backbone Poetry Journal seeks submissions of poetry (any style, any length) written by ethnic writers. We are a new but, gutsy press and our goal is to provide a publishing venue for underrepresented authors whose work my not otherwise receive recognition. We are also a progressive press, interested in political, gritty, and invocative poetry.
Please see our website for our guidelines: www.backbonepress.org.