Via the Tu Books website:
Support for the Award
New York Times Bestselling Author Nikki Grimes chimes in: “When was the last time you read a fantasy or science fiction novel written by an author of color? For most, the answer would be never. That simply ought not to be. There’s little point in discussing diversity in literature if whole genres are left out of the mix. With the launch of the New Visions Award, Lee & Low Publishers are taking a significant step to address that oversight…”
About the Award
TU BOOKS, the fantasy, science fiction, and mystery imprint of LEE & LOW BOOKS, award-winning publisher of children’s books, is pleased to announce the first annual NEW VISIONS AWARD. The NEW VISIONS AWARD will be given for a middle grade or young adult fantasy, science fiction, or mystery novel by a writer of color. The Award winner receives a cash grant of $1000 and our standard publication contract, including our basic advance and royalties for a first time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash grant of $500.
TU BOOKS was launched in 2010, dedicated to diversity in the beloved genre fiction market for young people. Titles include Wolf Mark, Tankborn, and Cat Girl’s Day Off. Fall 2012 will bring the publication of Morris Award nominee and Pura Belpré Award winner Guadalupe Garcia McCall’sSummer of the Mariposas.
1. The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States and who have not previously had a middle grade or young adult novel published.
2. Writers who have published work in other venues such as children’s magazines or picture books, or adult fiction or nonfiction, are eligible. Only unagented submissions will be accepted.
3. Work that has been published in its entirety in any format (including online and self publishing) is not eligible. Manuscripts previously submitted to TU BOOKS will not be considered.
1. Manuscripts should address the needs of children of color by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another.
2. Submissions may be FANTASY, SCIENCE FICTION, or MYSTERY novels for children ages 8 to 12 or young adults ages 12 to 18. Realistic stories without a mystery or speculative component will not be considered.
3. Submissions should include a synopsis of the story plus the first three (3) chapters accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any. Do not send the entire manuscript.
4. Manuscripts should be printed in a clear 12-point font, double-spaced, on 8½” x 11” paper. Submissions will not be returned, so do not submit your only copy.
5. Up to two submissions per entrant. Each submission should be submitted separately.
6. Submissions should be clearly addressed to:
95 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
ATTN: NEW VISIONS AWARD
7. Manuscripts may not be submitted to other publishers or to TU BOOKSgeneral submissions while under consideration for this award. TU BOOKSis not responsible for late, lost, or incorrectly addressed or delivered submissions.
Dates for Submission
Manuscripts will be accepted from June 1, 2012, through October 30, 2012and must be postmarked within that period.