Via Asia Writes:
Deadline: 29 April 2012
MOONROOT is looking for submissions to y/our second issue! And, out of a desire to build this radical and loving community, we are asking YOU to submit your heart, your stories, your love and your aches.
WHO WE ARE:
MOONROOT is an ongoing collective project about race, gender, and bodies. It is an evolving experiment in deep, loving community-building among self-identified womyn, trans*, and/or genderqueer persons of Asian descent (whether East Asian, South Asian, Pacific Islander, Southeast Asian, Central Asian, West Asian, hapa or mixed) living in diaspora, across borders and geographies. We believe that because our multiple and intersecting identities often render us invisible and misrepresented (even within our own communities), reclaiming our voices is a radical act of love and recognition.
We gravitated to each other to produce the first issue of MOONROOT in Fall 2011, which made its debut at the Baltimore Zine Bazaar. MOONROOT is a physical object, but most importantly, it is a community. We are building a visible, beautiful, and organic family.
OUR THEME for issue two is moonroutes. Possible topics to explore may include:
- geographical and/or historical happenings
- place / space
- body as a landscape
- reincarnations / past lives
- diaspora / migrations / borderlands / uprooting
- queering the diaspora
- displacing biological notions of blood, home, and patrilineal descent
- movements / moments / motions
- historical memory / mind pathways
- home / belonging / origins
- thoughts on future lives
- shifting relationships to our identities / our identity journeys!!!!
- transformations / liminality
- relationships of the colonized and colonizer within a body/bodies
- where we want to go / our imagined and desired futures
- the racialization of space
- confinement / barriers to movement
- education and class mobility
- anticolonial temporalities
- circular patterns in histories
- resisting / changing harmful patterns & uncovering life-giving ones
- migration by moonlight / cycles / nocturnal migrations
- the mystery of the unknown through the lens of the past and present
- perpetual foreigner myth
- This will be a half-size zine. Submissions should be 1-4 pages.
- Along with your submission, please include a brief (one sentence) bio and contact information; submissions can also be made anonymously.
- Our crew will go through a consensus-based editorial process. If you send us a submission, we will be in touch with you to let you know if we have selected your piece.
- We welcome all kinds of submissions. Text-based submissions should be in .doc, .rtf, or .txt format, and artistic submissions should be 300-600 dpi .tiff or .pdf files. Make sure each page is 5.5” x 8.5” (half letter).
- Please send submissions by email to moonrootzine (at) gmail (dot) com with the subject line “SUBMISSION – [your name OR title of piece]”. If you have questions about format or if an email submission is not possible, please contact us.
To see an example of our first issue, please visit http://issuu.com/moonrootzine/docs/moonroot.
For inquiries: moonrootzine (at) gmail (dot) com
For submissions: moonrootzine (at) gmail (dot) com